PHILADELPHIA MONEY LAUNDERING
Criminal Defense Attorneys Serving Philadelphia
Money laundering is a broad term encompassing ways in which individuals try to cover up or obscure the source of illegally obtained financial assets. It is considered a white-collar crime because it typically involves a financially motivated nonviolent crime committed by a business or other financial entity.
Money laundering is usually linked with one or more accompanying crimes, and often times leads to indictments on these additional offenses. Frequently, individuals brought up on money laundering charges are also charged with drug, theft, or fraud-related offenses. These additional charges tacked on to a money laundering charge may multiply sentences and fines issued to an individual should they be convicted.
Additional charges are not the only complication involved with a money laundering indictment: money laundering cases are often held in Federal court, which require a different type of defense attorney than State Courts. Those found guilty of money laundering will face prison terms and possible restitution of funds to the victims of their actions.
If you or a loved one have been charged with money laundering or an additional underlying offense to money laundering, then contact the attorneys at Krasner & Long right away. We can fight for your rights, no matter the severity of your case. We will exhaust each and every defense that money laundering and the accompanying crimes offer, and we will not rest until your rights as a defendant are protected.
Call (215) 525-6818 today to get comprehensive legal support from a Philadelphia criminal defense lawyer.
Money Laundering Penal Offense
Money laundering is a complicated crime for prosecutors to prove because it involves so many different moving parts.
Generally speaking, a person commits a felony of the first degree if the person conducts a financial transaction under ANY of the following circumstances:
- The defendant has knowledge that the stolen or illegally obtained property represents proceeds involved in the unlawful activity, and the individual acts with the intent to promote the carrying on of that unlawful activity.
- The defendant has knowledge that the stolen or illegally obtained property represents proceeds involved in the unlawful activity, and the transaction is designed to conceal or disguise the nature, location, source, ownership or control of the financial proceeds of unlawful activity.
- The defendant attempts to avoid a transaction reporting requirement under State or Federal law.
If prosecutors are able to fulfill their burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt, here are the criminal penalties that a convicted defendant may face:
- A person shall be sentenced to a fine of the greater of either $100,000 or twice the value of the property involved in the transaction; or
- A person shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than twenty years; or
- A person shall be sentenced to both penalties.
A civil penalty may also be assessed to an individual depending on the specific facts of the money laundering incident.
Clearly, money laundering is an extremely seriouscriminal offense, and is met with very harsh penalties. If you are facing money laundering charges and you want to secure skilled Philadelphia criminal defense attorneys to protect you, contact the law firm of Krasner & Long today.
Money Laundering Defenses
There are a few defenses to money laundering charges that may be applicable in your case. Those defenses include:
- Lack of knowledge that the property was stolen or illegally obtained.
- Lack of knowledge of the intended purpose of the stolen or illegally obtained funds.
- Lack of intent to conceal or disguise the nature, location, source, ownership or control of the illegally obtained funds.
- Entrapment by police or other law enforcement officials.
Contact Experienced & Skilled Attorneys
The team of attorneys at Krasner & Long have the experience you need when dealing withwhite collar crime. Often complex in nature, white collar crimes typically carry charges on multiple offenses. These additional charges usually carry their own sentence, further complicating already complex trial proceedings.
The Krasner & Long team of criminal defense attorneys have a great deal of experience in state courtrooms throughout the state of Pennsylvania and surrounding areas and a proven record of success. Victories in the courtroom include cases involving millions of dollars and extensive defense work, illustrating Krasner & Long’s commitment to their clients.
If someone you or someone you love was arrested in Philadelphia and charged with money laundering offenses, the Philadelphia criminal defense lawyers ofLaw Offices of Lloyd Long can help. We have years of experience defending clients against a wide range of misdemeanor and felony charges, including sex crimes, drug crimes, and federal crimes. We will protect your loved one’s legal rights while vigorously fighting the charges on their behalf.