We Can Defend Your Rights –Discover the Appeals Process in PA

The Philadelphia criminal defense attorney Lloyd Long understands that not all trials end as expected and that a person who has been convicted of a crime often wants to fight the conviction and sentence in an appellate court.

When you or a loved one has been unexpectedly convicted of a crime, or given an excessive or illegal sentence, the lawyers at our firm stand ready to assist you.

How Criminal Appeals Work

Appeals in Pennsylvania state and federal courts differ significantly from trials. When a case is on appeal, the appellate lawyer is seeking to demonstrate that the trial court committed an error which entitles the defendant to the requested relief, whether that be a new trial, a resentencing, or a complete dismissal of the charges.

The manner in which relief is sought can vary substantially from case to case. For example, in some cases, the government’s case may have to be reviewed in total so that the appellate court can be shown that it failed to make out the charges against the defendant. In other cases, a single incorrect evidentiary ruling by the trial judge might be enough to overturn a verdict.

Because appeals are subject to complex procedures and rules, clients and their loved ones should seek a Pennsylvania appellate lawyer with the knowledge required to properly file, brief, and argue an appeal, as well as significant experience in appellate matters. Philadelphia criminal defense lawyer Lloyd Long have successfully handled hundreds of appellate matters in Pennsylvania’s state and federal courts.

Where to Go from Here

If you have been convicted of a crime, the law only permits you a certain amount of time to seek relief by appeal. It is imperative to contact a knowledgeable Philadelphia appellate lawyer as soon as possible to discuss possible courses of action.

To learn more about appeals and post-conviction representation, please contact us today.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Law Offices of Lloyd Long
1845 Walnut St #525
Philadelphia, PA 19103

Get Directions

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. © 2018. All Rights Reserved.

Design + Marketing by