FRAUD DEFENSE ATTORNEY
White Collar Crime Defense Attorneys in Philadelphia, PA
Insurance fraud is considered a “white-collar crime,” in that it combines monetary gain with deceitful and fraudulent conduct. Insurance fraud is a criminal offense committed by either an individual, a business, or a governmental entity. It is a scheme that targets a specific form of insurance process and attempts to manipulate it for the monetary gain of the offender. Insurance fraud is a criminal offense that may be met with very serious consequences.
If you or a loved one has been charged with insurance fraud in Philadelphia, then you need tocontact our firm immediately. The Philadelphia criminal defense attorneys at Krasner & Long can fight for your rights, no matter the severity of your case. We will exhaust all possible defenses to an insurance fraud charge, and we will not rest until your rights as a defendant are protected.
What is Insurance Fraud?
Insurance fraud, in its most basic form, is any act committed with the intent to obtain a fraudulent outcome from any type of an insurance process. Insurance fraud may occur when a claimant to an insurance policy attempts to derive a benefit or advantage to which they are not entitled under the lawful portions of the policy. On the other end of the spectrum, insurance fraud may also occur when an insurer knowingly denies some benefit that is due to a claimant.
Insurance fraud is a serious criminal offense, and comes with serious penalties. Therefore, it is important to know what constitutes insurance fraud. The chief motive in every single insurance fraud case is financial exploitation leading to some form of cognizable gain.
Call (215) 525-6818 to reach our white collar defense attorneys today!
Types of Insurance Fraud in Philadelphia
Insurance fraud is a term that is all-encompassing. It includes any form of fraudulent conduct surrounding an insurance policy and an attempted wrongful monetary gain therefrom. There are numerous types of insurance fraud because there are many kinds of insurance.
Here are some of the most common forms of insurance fraud:
- The stolen car. This form of insurance fraud occurs where an owner either sells or destroys their own vehicle in order to take advantage of an insurance policy on their car.
- Car accident/Car damage. This occurs after an owner of a vehicle purposefully damages his or her own car in an accident in order to collect an insurance payoff. Many times, the insurance payoff is inflated for the vehicles involved in an accident, and claimants fail to get the vehicle fixed after collecting the insurance payouts.
- Health insurance billing. This form of insurance fraud is committed by health care professionals. Typically, they will bill an individual’s insurance for more treatments than the patient actually received.
- Unnecessary medical procedures. Unnecessary medical procedures are another way for doctors and other medical personnel to commit insurance fraud. In these scenarios, the patient is the victim of the insurance fraud because they are given an unnecessary procedure so that the physician can procure a financial gain.
- Staged house fire. This is one of the most common homeowner’s insurance fraud. Often an individual is hired to stage the “accidental fire,” and the individual has taken out some form of insurance coverage on the items in his or her home.
- Faked death. For this form of fraudulent insurance scam, a claimant will typically take out a life insurance policy on him or herself, with the spouse as the beneficiary. After the policy activates, the insuree will fake his or her death and the spouse will then be paid the death benefit.
Contact usto reacha Philadelphia white collar crime defense lawyer!
Our Experienced Criminal Defense Attorneys Can Fight for You
If you or a loved one has been accused of committing insurance fraud, then you need to contact the attorneys atLaw Offices of Lloyd Long. We have years of experience defending clients against a wide range of misdemeanor and felony charges in Pennsylvania, including sex crimes, drug crimes, and “white-collar” crimes like insurance fraud. We will protect your loved one’s legal rights while vigorously fighting the charges on their behalf.
Insurance fraud is an extremely serious crime. With serious crimes come serious consequences, and you need an attorney that you can trust who will fight for you every step of the way.
To discuss your legal matter in acompletely privatecase consultation, call our law offices at(215) 525-6818 today.