With the holiday season arriving, Philadelphia police see an increase drunk driving incidents. According to MADD, 10,265 people were killed, and 290,000 people were injured in drunk driving accidents. Don’t be another statistic! Before you head out for another Christmas or New Year’s party, read these tips on how to avoid a DUI during the holidays and share them with your family and friends.
Plan a Safe Ride Home
If you plan to drink at a party, make sure you plan a safe ride home before you head out.
- Designated Driver – If you and a group of friends are heading out for the evening, draw straws to determine who will be the designated driver for the night. Offer to buy that person non-alcoholic beverages or snacks while you are out.
- Uber/Lyft – Finding a safe ride home has never been easier! Use your smart phone to download the Uber or Lyft app and have a driver take you home. Unlike calling a cab, you don’t need cash to pay or tip the driver.
- Stay Over – If you are partying at a friend or relatives house, ask to spend the night. This way you don’t have to worry about the cost of a cab, finding a designated driver, or surge prices in Uber. Show your host some gratitude and offer to help clean up after the party.
- Call a Cab: Are Uber and Lyft not your style? Save the phone number of a local cab company and give them a call when you’re ready to leave the party.
- Public Transportation: If you live close to public transportation, consider taking the bus or train to your party.
If you are at a well-stocked party, pace yourself and make sure, you drink plenty of water. Avoid drinking on an empty stomach.
Avoid Salty Snacks
Salty snacks at a party can make you thirstier and cause you to drink your beverage faster than is responsible.
Arrange Safe Rides for Friends & Family
If you are at a party and you notice your friend or family member trying to get home while impaired, coordinate a safe ride home for them. You can call them an Uber or Lyft and have them picked up from the party location and dropped off at home.
The effects of a DUI and far-reaching and costly, if you were arrested for DUI retaining a skilled Philadelphia DUI lawyer is crucial to ensuring your rights are protected. Contact Krasner & Long, LLC today to set up a consultation.